Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Where to Begin?

So, we all want to save money and for many families the food budget can be a black hole of spending. But the question is, what to do about it? I know that some people swear by coupon cutting, and I myself have saved a great deal of money using newspaper coupons. But I find that I am just not well organized enough to consistently save money using coupons from the newspaper--not to mention the fact that we don't subscribe to a newspaper.

I find that the easiest way to consistently save money is to scour the grocery store ads for significant savings, stock up on the biggies and plan your meals accordingly. If you have coupons to add on and the store has double or triple coupons, then great. But you can still save a bunch of money by just shopping according to the ads.

I live in Chandler, Arizona. So, I have included links to the weekly ads for the four major grocery store chains in our area (Albertsons, Bashas', Fry's Foods, Safeway) in the sidebar. I don't shop at each store every week, but there are times when I do, if an especially good sale is on.

I am thinking that a major feature of this blog will be to review each week's ads and call out the major items to you along with a recipe or two. Because without a recipe, you have a full pantry and still nothing to serve for dinner. It is Tuesday and the new ads are coming out tomorrow. So, check back tomorrow and see what you can save.

No comments: